View Single Post
Old 2017-11-13, 19:22   Link #434
Dextro
He Without a Title

Finally got around to watch the movie (and on the UK copy with the supposed problems). I didn't notice anything wrong with my copy so maybe the delay in getting it actually worked to my advantage.

That said I'm not overly impressed with the movie. Sure, production values are pretty good and the story is pretty decent but for some reason I rate it closer to The Place Promised in Our Early Days than I do to Garden of Words. Maybe it's just the upbeatness of the story that gets to me or the presence of more comedy in the story... It's not bad, very far from it, but it misses the mark from masterpiece for me.

Also, and maybe this has been mentioned before, but is that ending basically a precise 180 of the 5cm per second ending? Cause it feels like the polar opposite of that one right down to some of the scenery choices. It's almost like Shinkai-san folded to those who hoped for a "happy" ending on that show regardless of how unreasonable it would be. I'm not saying I don't like the ending, I quite enjoyed it and feel like it works thematically and was not in any way forced, but I still found it interesting how it felt so much like a "happy" version of 5cm's one. I wonder if it was on purpose.