View Single Post
Old 2011-04-21, 16:59   Link #1209
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
Well only the first paragraph was directed at you, the next two paragraphs were direct at Karice.
I quite agree with what you said, actually. When I wrote 'triangle' I didn't mean it in terms of 'romance', just in terms of Alto's interactions with Sheryl and Ranka (i.e. his relationships with them, which as you say, are often not about developing the romantic front, at least to Alto).

Though I never denied that he wasn't attracted to at least one of them (and not so much the other...). It just isn't the whole story, which is what some (most?) of the discussions on AS seem to imply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
This is a question with multiple possibilities of answer. And each answer would be correct.
You know...I'm fine with this. What musouka wrote back then happens to resonate with me the most, based on everything I've seen AND read. But I'm happy if you all have your own interpretations that make sense to you, if supported by the show/supporting materials, of course...

@magnus
FH and wisteria took up what I would have said, which is that it seems like you're ignoring what we are actually shown to make your analysis.

The criticism over using the word 'indecisive' is a fair one to make, because the staff and cast are typically referring to Alto prior to episode 22 (or perhaps 24) when they use "furafura". They're specifically referring to his actions vis-a-vis Ranka and Sheryl, and he is shown to be going 'back and forth' between them, which is what the word encapsulates in Japanese (which 'indecisive' doesn't). Based on what Alto did in 20, i.e. how he ignored Ranka's feelings ,which Michel had emphatically pointed out just minutes before, to ask her to sing, I actually feel that Nakamura's label of 'horrible' is somewhat valid. It was the right thing to do wrt protecting the fleet, and it showed how much more important that was to him than Ranka was. But it still doesn't cancel that fact that he didn't even stop to consider why she was upset, much less do anything about it.

I'm pretty certain this 'furafura' is no longer applied after 22/24 though, to be honest...it switched to something else as a result of the reaction to the so-called 'non-resolution'. Though I'll get to that at the end of the rewatch, if at all.

=====

Ah, and I kept forgetting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Oh, well, of course they had to clarify that aspect of the show, instead of what Altos decision was in the end.
Wouldn't a more pertinent question be: 'why did karice choose to translate this out of all the material she could have translated?'

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-04-21 at 19:36.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote