View Single Post
Old 2007-07-03, 23:10   Link #2070
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I however would never buy sub only DVDs. I have maybe seen 95% of shows before they're even licensed, and buying one with no-subs would be just a waste of money for me since once you think about it, its just better quality video with another take on the translations. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't 'share' better; if there's a show I have to show to my friends, it better be in english dub otherwise they wouldn't even touch it. This is especially true when kids of other families come to my house, I'd pop in something like Kaleido Star in my entertainment system and they wouldn't be able to keep up with the subtitles.

But anyone here know how much does dubbing actually costs? I find it hard to believe that having no dubs actually makes a big of a price difference. Just judging from one series I have an eye on (Macross), Animeigo's sub only DVDs are relatively the same price as ADVs.
Dude. That is the sort of reason which will kill fansubs. If you refuse to support originals by buying even sub-only DVDs of anime you love, there is a price to be paid. Of course, everyone tries to free-ride the system. I'm saying that while you seem to have valid reasons and preferences, your sentiment is immoral. It's not just "better quality video with another take on the translations", it's ORIGINAL work licensed by the company that actually produces profit and contributes to the salary of workers involved as well as the revenue of the animation industry both in North American and in Japan.

Dubbing is obviously not that cheap. I'm not sure whether the attempt to set up a union for Voice Actors (which was 2 years ago) has finally succeeded; at that time I heard the rates were very variable. Remember that dubbing is not only pay for the voice-actors but also the renting (possible) of the recording studios, casting director, actual voice-acting director, agent fees and etc etc etc. It all adds up to be a small industry by itself, so yes, it should make a price difference.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote