View Single Post
Old 2012-08-07, 08:56   Link #1964
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
The point is that Teru cannot really be called on any level an "original" or "independent" aspect of Achiga. Teru (and by extension, Shiraitodai) are the unmistakeable final bosses of the main Saki storyline and one of the chief functions Achiga-hen achieved has been fleshing them out in preview of their impending clash in the Finals with Kiyosumi. Given the exposition towards Teru's playstyle given here, any non-informed Saki viewer would almost certainly be lost/lacking in terms of background and pre-established information if they merely proceeded to the next Saki season without ever watching Achiga.
You're misunderstanding me. Out of all the characters from Saki, I feel Teru is one of the few returning characters who viewers won't get lost on even if they hadn't watched the original series. Actually, Teru might be more of a character in Achiga-hen than in the first anime for the reasons you listed.

However, I question the franchise's move to develop a major character in what is supposedly supplementary material. Now, there might be a valid point in saying Achiga-hen can't stand on its own but I'm one of those types who holds an original series (Saki) by itself unless we're dealing with a sequel. Maybe Team Achiga and Team Senriyama's story would have worked better as flashbacks in the final round of the next "true" Saki season; the other teams in Achiga-hen certainly didn't get much development anyway.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote