View Single Post
Old 2017-04-05, 01:22   Link #199
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

I'm hearing things from people who know creators well enough that they even hear things I've been told not to share.

And everyone still says: buy something official. Anything. It doesn't matter how small it is.

So to me, "They're not making what I want available to me the way I want it" sounds like "What matters most to me is how much value I get out if this." As I pointed out above, if you really cared, you would pay extra to support the studios directly, by buying through their online stores through Japan-based proxies. The studios can then work towards paying their staff better, at the very least.

If saying that "they wouldn't get anything out of this" makes you feel better, so be it. You're the one you need to convince, not me.

=====

For everyone who actually cares about the creators:

If you can't afford it, or aren't old or financially secure enough to get a credit card, that's fine. It can probably wait until you are able to afford it.

If you do care, however, than perhaps try to buy even one official thing a year. If you really want to make sure as much of your money goes to the creators as possible, find a studio's online store and order directly from them. I'll be glad to help anyone look for proxies and make the order in Japanese, if need be.

====

edit: Oh, and for an even more direct way of supporting creators (if by creators you mean those animators who are starting at the very bottom), try the Animator Dormitory Start Up project. The most recent round of funding was a few months back, but there should be another one sometime this year.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2017-04-05 at 01:53.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote