View Single Post
Old 2010-11-19, 05:34   Link #91
Taufiq91

I love K-On!

The thing that attracts me to K-On! is the fact that it's the most relaxing slice of life anime next to Aria.

I'm very open minded with anime. I'm into manly animes like Cowboy Bebop and Fist of the North Star, but i'm also into slice of life animes like K-On!, Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh.

Watching K-On is like going to a nice cafe. Just sit down, have some tea and watch 5 beautiful girls play pop rock music. It's that simple. That's what slice of life is, and K-On is the best example of slice of life in 2010.

And i love the music. The music of K-On! is like a female, more cheerier of post-punk and New Wave music of the 80's. It's good, fun and catchy. Fuwa Fuwa Time reminds me of Devo, while Fude and Ballpoint Pen is pretty much a Japanese rendition of a New Order song. I like those songs, and i enjoy listening to Yui and Mio's voices.

The reason why K-On! is bashed is because it was overhyped, and many slice of life animes don't get the attention of the mainstream culture. Many aren't used to Slice of Life animes, and thus watching K-On is like a culture shock to them.

And if K-On!'s moe content is hurting anime as what most anime snobs say, then that's bullshit because K-On is like Haruhi Suzumiya in a baseball stadium compared to other animes. It's like blaming Anne Frank for World War II. To me, what's hurting anime is the fact we now rely on pretentious, Evangelion-esque bullshit to carry on a story instead of creating simple and unique storylines that could attract more people into animes.

And even if K-On doesn't have a plot, it's the characters that's important. Slice of life is more about character rather than plot, and many people seem to miss that. K-On! also has the best camera angles and artwork in anime, and watching K-On! makes you feel like you're a part of it, which works because of the camera shots and art design.

In conclusion, K-On is pretty much a simple, character-driven slice of life anime with nice music, great camera work and great art design. And the fact that it's bashed for being a a simple, character-driven slice of life anime is just ridiculous. I'd rather watch more shows like K-On! instead of pretentious animes with shitty Gainax endings. Atleast none of the characters have stupid family issues like the Ikaris or saying BS philosophical speeches about life and death. I got sick of those, so give me more K-On!!!