View Single Post
Old 2013-04-21, 17:20   Link #79
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
The CEO of Crytech may want to...redact that statement. In my experience in the gaming industry, from a gamer's point of view, a game that focuses too much on great graphics & special effects tend to lack in gameplay. The earliest example I know of is Doom 3. People were blown away with the graphics during it's first E3 presentation. And even when it was released, it still had one of the best graphics (if not the best) for a video game at the time. But the gameplay was admittingly lacking, with half-hearted level design, repeated cliches, and gameplay that felt a bit too tame. Then there was the first Crysis. The Graphics, effects, and physics were phenomenal and arguably years head of everyone else (even Unreal Engine 3, though the engine was great at the time too) and arguably the second best) but the gameplay didn't feel too spectacular. I did like the idea of placing on different attachments onto your weapons but the guns and gunplay felt a bit.....lacking. And there is also Unreal Tournament 3. The graphics, effects, and physics were phenomenal (in some ways, almost as good as Crysis). But the gameplay just felt the same as past UT games. And many complained that it lacked gameplay modes (as well as other features) from UT2004.
Here's what I remember from Doom 3.

Quote:
Oh my. I am walking down a corridor with just a flashlight because I can't tape a flashlight to my gun. I have come across a door. I wonder if there will be a single big scary monster behind that door. Oh yes. There is. I better switch to my gun and shoot it. Yes. I've shot it. And before the monster even hits the ground, it evaporates, preventing me from being knee deep in the dad. What a truely riveting and exciting experience this is.
I find it interesting that you mention the gunplay n Crysis. I remember trying it out, and being decidedly unimpressed. I think one thing that got me was that the basic North Korean foot soldiers just weren't as fun to shoot as the enemies in Call of Duty. I just didn't get the sense of verisimilitude.

I think it comes down to Call of Duty games tending to be a bit more *realistic* in terms of how much damage enemies take, and how they react to damage. A burst from a machine gun or a shot from a rifle will usually down an enemy in Call of Duty. Though even a non lethal shot will leave them stumbling toward the ground, trying to get up before being finished off. say what you want about Call of Duty, its very fun to shoot enemies in it. Somewhat similar with Elites in Halo, where they'd recoil after getting their shields dropped.

Compare that to Crysis. I don't recall enemy soldiers in Crysis being nearly as fun to shoot as in Call of Duty. They tended to just fall into ragdolls and get propelled around like tehy were weightless. I don't think they did reacted nearly as much to being shot at as the enemies in Call of Duty. When I think of Crysis games, I don't really think about how fun the shooting feels. I mostly think "well that's pretty" when it comes to the environment.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote