View Single Post
Old 2008-12-18, 10:10   Link #28
jsu718

As to the licensing issue, this was shown most obviously in the creation of the figures way back in the day. Basically Harmony Gold had the rights to do whatever they wanted with what they ended up making as Robotech, but couldn't use anything at all from the Macross versions, or anything later Macross related. So they were limited to the two VF models shown in the initial section from the Macross Saga, the SDF-1, and the stuff from Southern Cross and Mospeada. Harmony Gold basically blocked almost everything remotely Macross related in the US, and Macross almost didn't exist here other than imports. In Japan though, it was the opposite, as Robotech in itself didn't exist... which made sense since the three unrelated series that were used for Robotech were released there individually, as well as quite a bit of other Macross related media.

For the new movie, I sincerely hope it gets released, since almost everything that has been attempted Robotech related over the years has just fallen apart. I was one of the lucky few that actually got to watch the original Robotech movie way back in the day (yay Texas!)

If the current pattern in Hollywood is any indication it will probably be a "reimagining" of the original series, with a heavy focus on the Macross Saga section, so fans such as myself will be happy. Also while WB does have the license as far as producing the movie, Harmony Gold does still have creative control, so they might screw it all up like they have tried to screw up everything else Robotech over the years... or it could be like Batman and end up being awesome.
jsu718 is offline   Reply With Quote