View Single Post
Old 2009-10-09, 21:29   Link #156
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
I think you are forgetting something. If the Kuma we see right now lacks the originality of his real self, and represents a clone of himself, then he may not be capable of making the right decisions that made him who he was before the final operation.

And for me that is a really big handicap, especially against opponents who may not use conventional methods to fight. Sometimes you need to know and understand the person to choose the right fighting methods, and I doubt a cyborg minded human is capable of doing those.
Not so sure about that... i mean Kuma was not really too inventive in how he fought... he was pretty much just using raw force and strong armed it. Thus far, Kuma has not been fighting any different than he did on thriller bark... The only times more flexible thinking came into play was in his more merciful actions, like rejecting Luffy's pain, or choosing where to send people

If anything, it actually makes way for a plot hole... afterall what reason could Kuma now have for NOT just rejecting his targets halfway around the world and into the middle of the ocean... He could beat Iva in ONE move, and give him a one way trip to the calm belt... the old Kuma was able to make the conscious decision to not use that power, but the dead kuma doesn't have such thinking and thus moves with pure cold logic... "destroy the enemy"... there is no reason for him not to finish all his fights with one move

unless ofcourse, there is something more to that power that we don't realize... Moria seemed to allude to this when Kuma asked him where he would want to go... kinda like Moria knew how to protect himself from the power... so their indeed might be more to it

not to mention, a cold obedient robot, is probably better to have around than someone you can hardly trust... Kuma was so loyal but after that incident with the nobles he kinda did show himself to be no more trustworthy than any other shichibukai... his loss of more flexible thinking is a small price compared to him betraying the WG and using his human weapon strength against them
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
So in a way, it's actually not too surprising that he wants to test himself against Luffy, a rookie who's been stirring all sorts of trouble in the world as of late. Lastly, we can't forget his line at the end of this chapter about whether or not fate would favor a pirate of the new age such as Luffy. If anything, he must consider BOTH supernovas to be a worthy challenge for him at some point in the future......
Actually i think your misinterpreting the scene... When Mihawk draws his sword against Luffy, it's not Mihawk testing himself, it's Mihawk testing Luffy...

Because of Shanks, Mihawk has come to the belief that Luffy is destined to be the figure head of the next generation; he is now testing Luffy's fate... if Luffy fails to survive against Mihawk, then fate has failed him and he is no golden child... If Luffy survives or manages to escape from a foe more powerful than himself, then fate is smiling on him and he may truly be destined for great things

That's the meaning behind Mihawk's last line... will fate favor Luffy, or will he die here... it's not about Mihawk, it's about Luffy