View Single Post
Old 2007-05-30, 01:14   Link #99
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Just now got around to watching episode 1. I like the designs for XuanWuShen and Susanoo, but the heavily stylized character designs are going to take some getting used too (though if you pay close attention their movements are actually more detailed than the more common animation style). The idea behind the Wisest World War reminds me a lot of the Gundam fight, only things seem less reckless and more organized here (in some ways). Well they would have been had the Chinese team not been so early in their attack as to go after Susanoo before Shingo it's chosen pilot was even ready as well as to go after Shingo at the same time before he is even in Susanoo (This reminds me of the way G Gundam's Neo Russia disappeared it's opponents into the Gulag so that they would never have to fight a battle in the preliminaries and face elimination). As dishonorable as the Chinese war plan is, you have to admire their coordinations in its execution (too bad fighting dishonorably never pays). Also what's up with the Susanoo's designer jumping so high like she's some sort of robot.

Anyway, I'm expecting some sort of Orochi given that Susanoo is the name of Japan's robot. One last thing I'd like to add is the nice touch in including real world landmarks such as the White House and the Statue of Liberty to help solidify the reality of such a fantastical future, where the Equator seems to have been affected by some bizarre phenomenon known only as the Equatorial winter. I wonder how that will factor in to the overall story. Speaking of the story, in G Gundam the point of the Gundam Fight was for sovereignty over the colonies for 4 years, while in Gigantic Formula, the point of the Wisest World War has yet to be explained adequately beyond that it is happening right now. In the end it would appear Japan and China drew the battle and that Susanoo can somehow assimilate the parts of other units to repair itself, and that this has a drawback in that the unit is synchronized with the pilot so that they feel pain when the unit is damaged and can't use the damaged body part properly (This is happening in a lot of mecha series this season by the way). China should be back next episode I would imagine.

My only real complaint with the series is that the opening is positively atrocious and sounds like a typical harem anime opening rather than a war/mecha/sci-fi opening. The ending isn't much better, but at least I have the option to skip both.