View Single Post
Old 2010-08-07, 15:55   Link #4323
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post
But wait a second... are you saying that a detective novel must actually have been a real event for it to be solvable? That's absurd. I mean.. the last time I read a Sherlock Holmes novel, I *know* it's fictional AND I know it's solvable.
Actually, most Sherlock Holmes novels/stories deliberately withhold information from you, so they're not really solvable beforehand.

But aside from that, mystery novels are supposed to be logical in regards to why people do things. Even if people are pretending to be someone they aren't, their actions still have to make sense. This is why I hate the "Shkanon changes randomly to evade the red text" argument. "Shkanon" doesn't know that there is any red restricting their actions, so what they do still has to follow an internal logic.

For example, let's take the closed room puzzle at the end of EP6. Shkanon evades the red, but it is not a satisfactory explanation for many reasons.

1. There must have been something to prompt Shannon to take on the Kanon persona, but there is nothing in the text evident of this.
We see Kanon "melting" away in the next room, and this is implied to be because of the resolution of the Love Trial. However, the love trial erases Kanon at Shannon's expense, so the logical conclusion is that Shannon no longer has access to Kanon. This doesn't seem to be the case.
Not only that, but for the love trial to be the trigger, we need to have something on the board that is analogous to it. For example, we see "Shannon" coming to a decision about something, so she seems to be thinking very hard about something, or she's talking to George--ANYTHING the provides a hint to the so-called "inner struggle" that is supposedly going on for her body.

2. We need Kanon to have a reason to go to the guest room where Battler is.
This is harder than it looks. There are any number of reasons you can put forth, but none of them have any narrative backing.
"Kanon gets worried about where Erika is"--where is a line of text that implies this.
"Kanon needs to go get something in the room where Battler is"--why doesn't he use the door?
"Kanon is escaping the room because he fears for his own life from the people that are in it"--he told George that the core body is male, idunno? Any proof of this? Anyone? Bueller? (Actually, if Shkanon fears for their life, there's still no logical reason for her not to escape as Shannon.)

3. We need to explain why Kanon died or switched back to Shannon.
Is Kanon better at running in the rain? Only Shannon likes to hide in closets? He was mortally wounded and wanted to hide in a place he didn't think anyone would look? (In that case, where is the implication in the text? The person that attacked him would have had to have been in the room before he broke out of the window. And why didn't he choose one of the other rooms? Even if we assume that he found the bodies, the only person that would have killed them would be Erika, and I'm not about to go hiding in the same room as where the murderer is.)

4. What defines "Kanon" as "Kanon"?
Does he need to be wearing the clothes? That gives a sort of funny mental image of Shannon opening the closet and pulling out her spare Kanon suit and applying make up before jumping out the window and rushing out into the rain. Are there times in the story where "Kanon" is actually wearing the "Shannon" outfit and vice versa?

Let's break this down as an example.

The true mastermind is in the same room as Shannon. Perhaps they attack everyone and Shannon manages to escape out the window. Perhaps she even sustained wounds and the Shannon personality "died" as a result, leaving only Kanon. Kanon, frantic with fear, rushes to the mansion, finds the corpses, freaks out even more, runs to Battler's room to check/hide. There he finds Battler, lets him out, and hides in the closet, eventually succumbing to his wounds.

There we go. Only one problem. There is no proof. Therefore what I outlined is worthless as an explanation.

The end of EP5 shows you how to "fight", aka, "theorize". You have to take your conclusions from the text and back up your line of thinking with evidence. What I just gave is possible, but nothing more. Beato would make hash of it in two seconds.
ずっと変りはしない