View Single Post
Old 2006-07-04, 08:56   Link #9
Knavinusa

I've watched other anime that I thought was good, but this one sits at the top (as does Shakugan no Shana, which incidentally, is also animated by animators from KyoAni). That aside, almost every episode had more to offer than what was on the surface. I would tend to miss some important details going through the episode one time, but catch them later on after visiting the forum or looking closely at what was happening. It's also very thought-provoking and happens to tie in with quite a few philosophical concepts I'm studying right now, so I did not feel like I was wasting my time watching it like I would watching some run-of-the-mill Shounen.

Character development was excellent. Although Koizumi and Mikuru were not as heavily emphasized as already mentioned, both of them still played significant roles in the overall development of the series and the main characters as well. Kyon wouldn't be Kyon without Mikuru, and Haruhi's formation of the apparently ridiculous SOS-dan club would make much less sense to Kyon if Koizumi did not step in to explain. Even though Mikuru and Yuki can explain the phenomenon that is Haruhi, Koizumi is able to show Kyon directly, allowing him to understand what they tell him more clearly.

The animation quality was absolutely top-notch throughout the entire series. Details were put into every scene, none of the characters were designed awkwardly, and every episode usually ties in very well with the novel.

Needless to say, I've thoroughly enjoyed this one. Let's just hope KyoAni is able to get the green light for a second season (God knows why they and Gonzo are deciding to re-make Kanon instead...)