View Single Post
Old 2007-08-04, 11:50   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just from a gameplay standpoint (ignoring the "canon"), they're going to need bigger abacuses (abaci) to count the HP numbers that lvl 80 stuff implies.

I don't mind expansions per se. They usually add classes and features that keep a game fresh. The addition of the two races in Burning Crusade provided two whole new stories of 0-25 content. Balancing classes for PvP *and* PvE is just a tough go, so I expect screams from almost anyone who's hung up on "cookie cutter" "best" combinations.

What I'd *LIKE* to see that I don't see happening enough:
1) More solo and small group content and quests across all 70+ levels.
2) Stop dumbing down the quests (o look another 50yd courier quest).
3) Evolve the low and mid-range area quests in the older areas so that starting a new character isn't a drudge.

I end up soloing a lot because so many players are so totally risk averse that they have high-levels lead them by the nose through regions and instances that are perfectly solo-able or doable by the appropriate level... also see above comment on cookie cutter 'best' solution characters.
-- if there's no risk, there's no game.

Worse, some of them just want an end-game character --- which translates to an overload of top level characters who are basically just idiot jackasses in terms of grouping skills and guild interaction.
Its not unusual to hear lvl 70 types asking for directions in areas they should have grown up in.

These are WoW specific issues - they're a problem with most MMOs. I gave Dungeons&DragonsOnline a lot of credit for continuously providing new adventures in *all* areas (low and high) -and- providing adjustments for group size or solo-able in most of them.

As far as the WoW "story" goes...... its probably best just to view WoW as a juncture timeline point at which the track leaves the tactical game story.