View Single Post
Old 2010-01-09, 14:27   Link #19
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Hm, okey let me try again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
My reply above was in responce to your suggestions to change terms such as "Thread" with "Topic" and now you bring up themes and banners. How are they the "same idea"?
Its simple, take the original vBulletin theme, the forum was this blue blob. As I suggested above some of the phrases be tweaked, you tweaked some of the colors of this blue blob to get the gray/yellow theme you have now (as default). It wasn't a bad thing was it...

The phrasing used I suggested changing is by todays standards either awkward or way too technical. It was devised when forums still coexisted as another form of mailing list/irc channel, so the phrasing is inherently technical and complicated (to your average new user; and people who visit from other non-vBulletin or forum-ish places). vBulletin, weirdly enough, also kept their original phrasing since its inception around 10 years ago (most likely compliance reasons), which was good then, but looks very old/silly when compared to todays standards where the alternative more natural words have come into place and use.

Not to mention this is a anime forum. vBulletin leaves things as stickies/threads/replies/contacts because they can't assume what you would use their software for. You might use it for bug tracking, just for a form of interactive support, listing of some kind of discussion etc. Here however you don't have that ambiguity, so it doesn't make sense to leave it technical, as in: "I need to create a Topic. To create a topic I need to create a Thread." rather you can have "I need to create a Topic. Oh look, there's the New Topic button." with the change of one pesky word.

And don't tell me everyone knows it since I know you're old enough to remember the times when we didn't have the majority we have now of people who've learned what they are suppose to mean. Also, there is still plenty of silly phrasing (people have not gotten too used to) in the system anyway. For example, what is a "Contact List"? It doesn't show me a phone number or info, so its not something like a personal phone book; so what is it? If I called it a "Watchlist" (like they do on pretty much every site out there; even GHD used it in the beta of v3) everyone would understand what it does and is, regardless of what I place in it; but its not called that is it =P

Also c'mon its only 3 clicks and a few edits. Not to mention its all built in very nicely so it doesn't even bother the vB1.0 phrases if you're in love with them. I didn't ask for you to set it as default Langauge either so its not really bothering anyone.