Thread: Smile Precure
View Single Post
Old 2011-12-11, 10:20   Link #56
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
Well, personally I like more Precure than Super Sentai or Kamen Rider, even if they're bigger franchises... I know there are a lot of fans for both series, but honestly the only thing watchable for me in that timeslot is Precure, despite the target.
That said, I personally think Suite wasn't (and isn't) that great, even not counting Heartcatch, but I like the designs of Smile, and if it's remotely near the idea of 5 (another series I appreciated) I'll be ok with this.

Do not diss Kamen Riders, Kamen Riders are great. I every time I thought it was gonna suck (like last year's ooo and fourze this year) they turns out to be more enjoyable than I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sageblink View Post
Looks exactly like a mix between Yes 5 and Heartcatch.

I know I shouldn't but I already feel disappointed...
The design is way too moe for me (but I'll keep the Madoka-factor in mind and give it a try).

As each season got some cures added during the show, I'm a bit afraid they pull something à la Milky Rose with Candy (the fairy).

Wait and see, as they say...
But seriously what's with the talk on design similarity?

You know what you are getting into when you're looking at Precure series not to mention as other already said this is a show that aimed at pre-teen girls they are suppose to be moe, Otaku fans like us are just bonus. (and moe is such a mis-used word here in U.S. among anime fans.)

All Gundam looks similar so do all Valkyries and it's the reason they are popular in the first place. Everyone watched Gundam (at least in East Asia) in their life at some point and they all look the same and kick ass the same way. That's why they become household name.

Not to mention every time they drastically change the designs it back-fired in merchandise sales.

Besides these franchises are never design to have lasting fans and as I said, the Otakus like us that keep watching year after year are bonuses.

This reminded me on what Eiichiro Oda once said in his interview. When OP first serialized and was selling at a really high pace for a new series, he was worried that he would lose fan as they get older and pasts being teenagers. Then he realizes that for every fans he loses due to old age he can gain them back as they become teenagers so he decide that he'll just draw what he think is fun and what he think a 15 years old boy would enjoys at time and not worry too much on altering approach for older fans. That when OP really start to took off and become the beast it is right now.

The approach not only worked, it created the most popular manga in Japanese history mainly because the most of his old readers didn't abandon his work once they got order because it is still the same fun manga they read when they are teenagers that got surprising depth with simple concept.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2011-12-11 at 10:33.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote