View Single Post
Old 2014-09-18, 11:53   Link #3309
imakename4jus1commen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystogan View Post
Is there anyone who understood this series completely
What does it mean to understand something? Does that mean that it 'makes sense'? And how can something that is not concluded (and in this day and age no art is) make sense?

I can take a stab at what it means... to me. I go on anime binges and then long dry-spells, so I didn't watch Haruhi when it came out. I think I saw it in 2008 and then watched the rest as they were released. Wasn't as impressed with Season 2, but I liked the movie.

Basically, I think a lot of school-based anime centers around school life for exceptional people. I think a lot of the anime audience believes they are (and probably are, mostly) above-average to exceptional. I see all of these characters as gifted kid archetypes.

Haruhi, who basically had an existential depression in 5th grade, occasionally would act out in an attempt to find enjoyment in life, but for the most part she was repressed. That is why despite her 'ability' what she always wants to do seems to be childish. It's like now that she has companions, she wants to relive from that point.

Then, you can look at the non-Kyon characters as ones who excel in one field but have variously glaring weaknesses as well.

I would say Yuki is like an autistic mathwiz. Koizumi is more of science (although you can argue for math/science since they are both closely tied.) Mikuru has two exceptional traits. One being her beauty and the other, I would say is history-related (again, there is science to it, but to fit my all-school-subjects theme, time travel is history.)

Kyon is the most exceptional, even beyond Haruhi, to me, because he is philosophical. He looks at things like a writer, so I assign him to "Language" and he manages to be in a group of exceptionals despite having no outward talent.

So, we have then all of these people and Haruhi. Basically, she wants to be unique and she is (irony.) She feels very bored and that nothing is happening despite the fact that everyone is working furiously behind the scenes to make sure everything comes out perfectly. And, of course, everyone seems to have plans for Haruhi, too, if they could ever manage it, except Kyon who is obviously in love with her.

I think it is mainly the interaction of everyone and the unreliable parts. It is true Haruhi is special, but is she what they think? What is the driving force? I think it could just as easily be Kyon that is controlling everything with his mind. Mikuru acts stupidly and weak, but I don't think she is.

There is a lot going on that isn't really expressed. I don't think this anime is extremely deep, but there is enough to keep you busy. I like it a lot because I can understand the point of view of every character because I have parts of all of them (as most people who have allowed themselves to develop should.)

Also, Kyon seems to be the only one with empathy in the whole show. And Haruhi could verywell be bipolar. Many speculations. Everyone wants to say, "She's a tsundere and God, etc." But I think if you look deeper and are interested in undertones, you will see there is a lot of stuff you can wonder, "Is that true?"
imakename4jus1commen is offline   Reply With Quote