View Single Post
Old 2007-09-23, 18:18   Link #115
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Somehow i doubt that universal, basic flaws like poor character development, pacing problems, nonsensical plot points, fragmented and anti climatic events, etc ... can suddenly be excused because of the genre. Storytelling in itself is not tied to any genre, thus any flaws within it can not be attributed to the genre either. Even if we ignore this - why do people like A's and generally find StrikerS flawed, if both are of this mysterious 'mahou shoujo' genre that is somehow supposed to bring forth poor directing of the show ?

It is fine to like a show despite its flaws, but there is no reason to accept these flaws without questions just because the show happens to fall in some specific genre (which has nothing to do with the production values of a show).
While my comments was more directed towards those expecting obscure plot twists, gruesome deaths, spectacular military manuevers and real life retributions for military mistakes, I attribute A's being liked for it being excellent rather than Striker's being bad. Don't misunderstand me though, I have been the first in many previous cases to accept that Striker's DOES have directing, pacing and plot focusing big flaws. However, it's not like that is anything earth shattering... rather that is rather characteristical of your average anime series. Which, in the end makes Striker's fall into the mediocre Anime realm, and it won't be ever remembered as the wanna-be younger sister of A's. However, that in itself doesn't mean that StrikerS is Bad. Just that it is average.That is the point I've been trying to make since 5 episodes above but everyone has been to busy bashing Vivio