View Single Post
Old 2013-05-02, 05:01   Link #1976
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Because the name doesn't matter.
I disagree. The name does matter. ISML was started up as a way for moe fans throughout the entire world to express their appreciation for their favorite moe characters.

It's not their favorite anime characters period because there's plenty of well-beloved anime characters that don't participate in the ISML regular season.

Quote:
But all that still comes down to what you define as a "moe element", which I also addressed in that post. People sort of think they know what a "moe element" is in a vague sense, but get down to specifics and it always falls apart.
No, not always.

"Cute girls doing cute things" is a moe element. I doubt that anybody would seriously argue that "cute girls doing cute things" isn't moe.

So if 50% or more of a show's content involves "cute girls doing cute things" then that's a moe-centric show.

Instead of denying that, those of us who like moe would be better off explaining why we like watching "cute girls doing cute things", imo. That might actually change some critics' minds. Just saying "Moe is strictly a feeling" isn't going to change any critics' minds.

Now, in fairness, not all elements are as clear-cut as "cute girls doing cute things". Just like some elements are definitely sci-fi, while other elements (like, say, action scenes in VRO - is it magical girl or is it mecha/sci-fi?) are less clear-cut. So there will be debate on the edges, on the periphery.

But there also will be clear-cut moe-centric shows (K-On, Clannad, Kanon) just like there's clear-cut sci-fi (Star Trek, Andromeda, StarGate).

Quote:
That's why I'm imploring: just give it up -- "moe" as a definition of content is a lost cause.
No, it isn't. Actually, what I think is a lost cause, is people denying that it can legitimately serve as a definition of content.