View Single Post
Old 2012-03-16, 03:50   Link #191
VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
For an added "temptation", there is also the fact you won't have to answer for, or explain your actions to anyone. Everyone will forget the "Another" existed. You won't be accused of anything, held responsible for anything. You can do it and get away scot-free. The only limiting factor is your conscience/morality, but it gets soothed by the fact you can tell yourselves you are actually saving lives by doing so. And it's not even a "real" sacrifice - the "Another" can't be saved, it's an existence that will cease to exist at the end of the year anyway, and won't be remembered by almost anyone. The "death" of Another is assured in either case. The lives hanging in the balance can still be saved.
That's only if you assume your assumption that the victim is the Another is correct - if you get it wrong, you will be a murderer, you will have to forever live with the guilt that you unnecessarily took someone's life, and you will be royally fucked (people are immediately going to jump on you and you'll likely spent a significant part of your life in jail), which also ironically enough will
1) Make it impossible to still murder the Another (you will be stopped from murdering other people); and
2) Make it impossible to convince someone to murder the Another (a 'carefully considered' suggestion to murder someone coming from someone who murdered an innocent isn't likely to be taken well).

For added fun, consider that there's only one known instance of memories of the Another being directly erased after 'death'. It might've been a fluke, perhaps caused by something unrelated, and you'd still be considered a murderer for saving everybody. Or, perhaps, you might get the Another, but don't stop the phenomenon - again, that could've been just a fluke, mere coincidence.

I don't know if I could take it morally, but I don't think I'd be confident enough to murder the Another considering the very limited and fragile evidence you have as support that everything will work out fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Even if the extra person being here is a lie, the time you would spend with them and the memories you create would still be reality.
No, not really. Your memories are erased at the end of the year. Events that nobody remembers might as well just not have happened.