View Single Post
Old 2004-07-01, 14:52   Link #66
jennwenn

What the heck, I'll add some more.

Ayako by Osamu Tezuka and MW by Osamu Tezuka. These have just been released in France. (Sorry if you don't speak French. But if you speak English or any romance language, its really easy to guess!) They are two serious manga by the god of manga that were written to reflect turbulent times. Ayako is about a girl locked in the basement for her whole childhood. MW is about a man who has gone crazy due to a mysterious chemical called "MW" and seeks to destroy the world with it.

Anatolia Story by Chie Shinohara (Red River according to Viz. I'm so glad they are releasing good classics!) Viz are making this sound like a Fushigi Yuugi clone, but its much darker, much better than Fushigi Yuugi. The main character is more like the 12 Kingdoms heroine than any Yuu Watase heroine. (In other words, she can kick ass.) A girl is transported to the ancient Hittite kingdom in the Middle East. (Present day Turkey I think, which means it isn't technically the Middle East but whatever, I'm just copying the Viz blurb.)

Story of Beijing Opera by Ueda Hiroshi. I just think the Chinese opera is so COOL! I love watching it on TV and wish I could see it in real life. This manga is formulaic and follows the "become XXX master!" format, but the subject is so interesting I don't mind.

They were 11! by Moto Hagio (in "Four Shojo Stories"). A shojo sci-fi mystery that is really gripping. Also brings up many questions about gender that I've never seen any other work do believably. I just bought the out of print Four Shojo Stories graphic novel by Viz, and its AMAZING. Its the first shojo manga ever released in America, and contains 4 very high quality, classic shojo stories. My second favorite story is The Changeling by Shio Sato. Asimov, mythology, philosophy, and anthropology fans will love it. The other two stories are short works by Keiko Nishi dealing with adultery and family problems.

Last edited by jennwenn; 2004-08-30 at 20:04.