Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [anime]
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-22, 04:48   Link #1494
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
When you say "better", what particular reference point are you using exactly?

The problem with claiming one side to be better than the other is that anyone can only do so with a specific reference point in mind. Likewise, changing the reference point can come up with an entirely different perspective. In my case, disregarding the self is every bit as abhorrent as disregarding others.

The way I saw it, Taichi really crossed the line once he began imposing his own to beliefs onto to Himeko in that one scene. It's all well and good if he wants to kill himself for the sake of someone else, but if he expects others to make the same sacrifices he makes, then there is something seriously wrong with him.
Blonto's response to this isn't exactly the same as mine would be, but I think he handled it well, so I'll leave most of it at what he said, at least for now.

But one particular point that I want to address is your claim that Taichi "crossed the line" during an "Id moment" (i.e. when he became angry with Inaba). That's the whole point of these "Id moments" - They cause you to cross certain social boundaries that normally you wouldn't.

Truth be told, most people judge other people (i.e. assess them by our own moral norms and standards) everyday. It's just that we know it's generally rude, if not inappropriate, to try to impose those judgements on others except in the most egregious of cases (i.e. "Did you just murder that person?! What are you thinking?!").

But due to these "Id moments", both Taichi and Inaba (and likely other cast members as well, over time) are being more openly judgmental towards their friends than they typically would be.

I think we need to be very careful in criticizing these characters for things they do or say during Id moments. At the very least, we shouldn't hold those "Id moments" to the same standards that we would things done or said with a character's inhibitions entirely intact.

I'm sure a lot of people do/say stupid things while drunk that they would never do/say while sober. And that's much the same situation here with these "Id moments", I think.