Thread: Cell Phones
View Single Post
Old 2010-06-28, 12:28   Link #201
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just moved to a Nokia E71x after spending a couple of years with the Sony-Ericsson W760a. I like the Symbian OS and the multi-tasking, I like the way I can select cellular or the nearest wi-fi for connectivity (some phones get crippled so much they won't even do that). Some folks have complained about key size but I'm having no problem at all with my big fingers due to the shape of the keys. I really LIKE not having to mess with a membrane pad and having a qwerty interface instead of 10-key.

I was *not* thrilled about having to choose a data plan ($15 for a paltry 200MB, skewed sense of value there) especially when I'm going to be working off of wi-fi most of the time. OTOH, I got the E71x for $0.00 and no upgrade fee (yeah, yeah, 2 more years).

I *am* thrilled I can plug ear buds directly into it rather than having to use S-E's ginormous "universal connector" nonsense (which was really stupid given its "Walkman" music focus).

The Nokia also captures signal much better than the S-E (which I *think* had signal processing flaws rather than a poor antenna).

I'm finding some dislikes but mostly I think due to AT&T crippling fun (like not being able to delete software (demos mostly) I don't want) but overall there seems to be much less crippling of the Nokia than there was of S-E products.

Still working out the "best" way to quickly get to certain functionality (hotkeys, etc). It took a little work to figure out how to customize ringtones/images for each contact (hiding deep in options rather than part of the contact creation checklist).

Minor nit: this isn't a "fun phone" like the W760 was, but its a lot more powerful and configurable -- I'll take the tradeoff. I prefer it to the Blackberry line.

Major nit: the OVI PC suite software refuses to install despite several re-downloads, it hangs near the end of install when requesting a captcha image to prevent phony account creation. The forums indicate this is a common problem but the only solution given was to re-download the software. I don't *need* it since most things can transfer via file copy but I'll need to find some way to back up my contact list.

Haven't tried the theme creator software for Nokia devices yet.... the S-E theme creator was pretty good coupled with GIMP, hopefully the same applies.