View Single Post
Old 2013-02-11, 14:38   Link #67
kuromitsu

Not to reignite the whole "who loved whom more waah" discussion, but there are a few points that need clarification (heh).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enpitsu View Post
She DOES NOT CARE if she left her village or even her family.
You're simplifying this to a great deal. What she realized -after some time being away from the village, not when she decided to leave- was the tragic fact that her parents may not love her as much as she loves them. That if she was to be killed they wouldn't fight for her, they would accept her fate, be sad and move on, eventually forgetting about her. It's not that she doesn't care, she does care, which is why she even mentioned this.

Quote:
Heck, she even says that she'd last longer than Mamoru surviving on her own outside the town.
She said that she would perhaps last for some more time in the town, but Mamoru has been already etc etc etc.

Quote:
I'm sure the lack of Mamoru in this declaration was not a mere accident; she is not confident enough in Mamoru's skills regardless of how much she loves him as a friend. Mamoru is not only lacking in this declaration but even during all of the flashback cutscenes as children and even Shun was shown.
There's a very simple explanation for all that: they only met Mamoru when they were 12, since he came from a different "elementary" school than the rest of Group 1. So he couldn't have been there to share all those pre-12 memories. So he was sort of an outsider, a "late addition" to the group, and while he was friends with everyone, Maria was pretty much the only one he formed a deep relationship with. (As for the cutscenes from after they're 12, well, there were scenes where Maria wasn't even present and couldn't have known about, so there's that. They were there more for the viewers' benefit than anything else.)

Quote:
Lastly: Maria professes her love to Saki several times in this letter
Which reminds me, did the fansubbers really translate the opening formula as "to Saki, my love"? I look forward to them being consistent and using this in the letter to Saki from her mom where she uses the same formula to address her... (In my opinion there are times when it's not necessarily a good idea to embellish things.)

Quote:
She also says that "I believe the bonds between us is stronger than that"
By which she meant the bonds between her, Saki and Satoru (and theoretically, "X"), just to be clear.

Quote:
In sum, Maria chose to go with Mamoru because he is helpless and is already doomed to fail, and coupled with her disgust for their society, it was the perfect opportunity to leave once and for all.
She wrote the letter after Satoru and Saki left, after putting two and two together (or rather, the info from Mamoru finally forming the "full" picture that we've known all along, that children who "disappear" are killed). She decided to leave with Mamoru before she had a chance to sit down and assess the situation and come to the realizations she mentions in the letter. She decided on first impulse. Mamoru can't go back to Kamisu 66 or he'll be killed. They can't trust anyone there with his life (or her own, for that matter), seeing what happened to others like Saki's sister, Reiko or "X". Mamoru decided that his only chance is to leave and live somewhere far away. She won't let him go alone. She had a chance to change her mind and go back to the town with Saki, and as she professes that's what she really wanted to do. But she didn't, for the reasons she lists in the letter.

Quote:
I suspect that her disgust for the society includes how, although she loves Saki very much, unrealistic it is because they are to be wed to heterosexual partners in the end. Maria loves Saki but she had to leave because I don't think she could stand seeing Saki wed off to someone else. P.S., I think Maria also hated the fact that she was objectified in the society.
I still have no idea where people are getting these from, but I guess personal interpretations will vary wildly... (so I won't argue about them)