View Single Post
Old 2012-11-06, 03:47   Link #11
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Surprisingly, I think genetic modification is not a norm in this world. You would think it's a logical next step, but it seems the Psycho-pass society stops short of eugenics and gene manipulation.
This seems to be the case, surprising indeed. I guess it's a necessary premise to carry on with the story for now, because the widespread of genetic manipulation will shove a lot of the problems currently depicted in the show. Well, it doesn't bother me too much, but it would be a nice addition if the show explains more background story, even if just in passing, why genetic manipulation isn't yet widespread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terizent
If you ask me, the Sibyl system would probably meet less resistance from the public than genetic modification, so there's also that.
I doubt that. The reason I quoted the phrase "eventually it will be a sin for parents to let their children born with genetic diseases" is because that's what criminals in the Psycho-Pass world are treated: a "disease" that's inherent, sort of like a genetic disease. With the Sibyl System in place, I doubt that genetic modification would encounter much resistance, if at all. Currently, this still doesn't seem to take root, but I think this is the next step a society so obsessed with 'efficiency' would take.