View Single Post
Old 2009-09-19, 05:53   Link #65
Clarste
Human

I disagree with the idea that smooth animation is what makes animation uniquely appealing. If I wanted to to get the illusion of movement by watching a sequence of still frames go by quickly, I'd watch a live action series. Those have perfect animation, if you haven't noticed.

What's uniquely appealing about the animated medium is the freedom of design. You can have impossible camera angles, costume design, settings, etc in a way that looks at least somewhat natural in that it all fits together. Put that kind of thing in live action and it stands out in contrast to the actors. In that sense, I think Bakemonogatari is beautiful, even in the obviously flawed episode 10. Things like the backgrounds in episode 3 strike me as the pinnacle of animation as a medium.

Anyway, on the subject of the well animated sections that actually exist in Bakemonogatari, they can afford to be well done precisely because they're rationed. These things don't animate themselves you know. Animation is extremely time consuming and frankly tedious work. This is a weekly show that doesn't seem to have a particularly huge budget, so we could either have horrible and pointless animation spread out evenly (which wouldn't even make sense given the content as dictated by the dialog heavy source material) or mostly talking heads with a few awesome scenes every so often.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote