View Single Post
Old 2007-03-31, 15:18   Link #58
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I use Ad-Aware and Spybot. Spybot gives you a passive system-level protection called TeaTimer (I don't use that), and it also allows you to "immunize" your web browsers against known malicious content. It supports Opera, IE, and when I had FireFox installed I'm pretty sure it picked up on that, too.

Quote:
Well the reason why I can't update yet is that the incident might happened again you know when you update your windows usually they install the stuff before shutting down so what if Im installing updates and boom suddenly the pc crashed thats the worse case scenario..
There's a chance that it could happen, but I wouldn't say that it's very large. And the harsh reality is that if you don't patch your system properly, your system has a pretty high likelihood of crashing due to malware. If you know what you're doing and have all of the proper layers of protection on, you don't need to worry as much. However, the way I see it, why take chances? The more exploits you patch, the safer you are.

You just restored your system, so I'd say that now is the perfect time to go through a big update process. If the update messes something up (and it shouldn't) then at least you won't lose too much in terms of customization. Your data should not be affected, as an error in the update process would just damage the operating system, and could require that you reinstall the OS. If you're really worried, back your data up. You have two hard drives, don't you? Unless they're both filled to the max, you should be able to do this pretty easily.