View Single Post
Old 2010-07-03, 07:39   Link #2
AC730

Animation Quality: 9
The animation provided proved to be one the best this season. From the first episode I was able to witness some fluid animations combined with some of the detailed backdrops complete with guns blazing, it just says it all for me. The scene with the tickets drifting down from the night sky along with Kanade in the spotlight won me over seeing quite a jaw-dropping scene, I may be exaggerating here but it definitely was a show of quality. It's not the best, but one of my most favorite. There are a few awkward scenes with characters doing some weird movements and expressions here and there but only slightly affects the animation quality.

Voice Actors: 10
Great cast and voice acting here. In fact this is what brought me over to watch Angel Beats after seeing Kamiya and Hanazawa on the list, I knew I had to check it out. The only problem in my case is that I get Otanashi, Araragi and Ko all mixed up after hearing him speak in the same tone and manner almost through out different series. The emotions conveyed through the VA's really were expressed quite well, notably in the last episode or just the preview for the last episode where you could really just hear Otanashi's words of sorrow and insight about the graduation. Just 'hearing' the preview really struck me and had me a bit teary eyed. A job well done.

Script: 9
This script was unique. Lenghtwise? It didn't quite develop out to it's full potential, if only there were more time to expand out to a second season for Otanashi's arrival and 'departure.' Other than that, the script proved to be a well played with the 13 episodes it had to explore with. It contained tidbits of humor, sorrow, insight and some true character development with the short time it had. I remember, I couldn't stop laughing with Naoi and Hinata's interactions while Otanashi's backstories really showed how he had changed and the sudden realization of his little sister passing really had me crying. The script wasn't the best one but it was an ideal one for the number of episodes it had.

Soundtrack: 10
The soundtrack is one of the best things in this anime. Dare I say, better than most anime's that we enjoy today. Actions scenes were supplied with a high paced track while scenes with sorrow were filled with the delicate touch of the piano and really meshed well with all the elements on screen. Now Girls Dead Demo, the fictional band in the anime didn't get much character development... However they were the driving force behind the music in the anime where songs like 'My Song' and 'Ichiban no Takaramono' were filled with lyrics that emulated emotions their respective characters. Just listening to either of those tracks alone is powerful enough to make me teary eyed. Combined with 'passing' of Iwasawa and Yui on screen which was sad yet beautiful just made those scenes filled with tears. The soundtrack provided is top notch, better than most shows I see today.

Production: 7
The editing involved wasn't quite what I'd expect this series to be. A notable scene where it shows flaws was when Otanashi struck Naoi down and gave an embracing speech. It was truly a powerful moment, all the elements were there with the soundtrack playing. But the scene suddenly cuts to Naoi's past which made the entire scene crumble as it really pushed for Naoi's backstory. The transition was an unforgivable muck-up they had made just made the rest of the episode seem quite rushed. The moment where Otanashi's finished speech transpired needed a few moment's to let it sink in and provide the audience with enough time to really grasp the major plot point. Extra seconds of the soundtrack going with both in the rain would've improved the editing significantly and dramatic effect. This also proves a similar problem to flashbacks of Yuri and Yui, as they suffer from the lack of a smooth transition between scenes, probably due to the episode limitations. A second season or the omission of a few supporting characters would've helped fix this. It was clear at the end, the group it focused on was the remaining 5 having the focus on them from the beginning would've clearly help fix the 'rushed' feeling of some episodes.

Enjoyment: 10
This anime was my favorite of the season. It was the only one where I couldn't wait patiently week by week. It wasn't perfect but it was so enjoyable. Angel Beats had a beautiful story to tell. And I participated. I'm glad I did...

Emotional Involvement: 8
I really was quite involved with the Angel Beats but episode 13 just didn't quite hold up to what I though it to be and it failed to reach to my relation to the characters on screen. I really wanted it to be the episode where it just blew me away, but the episode proved to be too short and needed to span out to an extra episode to truly develop the scene and allow the audience to be drawn in to the characters emotions. I'm hoping that episode 14 will add one more point to this.

Average/Total: 9
I really wanted this to be a 10 out of 10! I'm so sorry... It really should be an 8! But there's an overall appeal factor that just for me raises it up to a 9 and no higher. Angel Beats is one of my most favorite anime and explores on some ideas I have never seen, which is refreshing for once. This is one show I can literally show anyone based on it's content, as it covers a lot of elements within a show. I can guarantee they won't be disappointed.

Personal Thoughts:
Angel Beats! it's a great title! Initially it had me puzzled for quite a while but after episode 13 it truly brings out an implicit plot point. Moving on to that plot point, episode 13 was the most disappointing episode, I really wanted it to be the one where it would truly bring something so sweet but sorrow. But the explanations were too short and didn't leave room for me to grasp. I also really wanted Kandae to show her affection or reciprocate her feelings towards Otanashi instead of "Thank you!" which was felt half-hearted and really stung Otanashi not leaving him much to move on to. It was a bitter goodbye for him... For Kanade? I can't tell, it was too hard to interpret. However the epilogue truly made my day seeing how they met again somehow. If Angel Beats wants a 10, they need to rework episode 13 and really add substance in episode 14. I really hope they do remake it. Otanashi's journey to the Afterlife is truly something unique as I see and I love to see more of Angel Beats!

Last edited by AC730; 2010-07-03 at 09:14.