View Single Post
Old 2012-05-27, 16:17   Link #120
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
This episode felt like a bad Shakespearean tragedy.

Well, I'd say this is quite a fitting end for Kariya, who was intent on blaming all his sufferings on his rival until the very end. He even had the gall to deny having killed Tokiomi when he had every intention of doing so to begin with, regardless of whether he actually ended up doing it or not. Good riddance.

On another note, the Kotomine Kirei we all know and love is finally back.
Funny, I had the opposite reaction. I pretty much sympathized with Kariya the whole time. Not saying what he did would be right in a real world setting. But his degradation of character based on immense suffering seems reasonable. Who wouldn't snap under the circumstances? Like he said, he went through hell to help this woman who is now here saying he never loved anyone... Makes you go : lol You'd have to have herculean character to not go insane at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swithin View Post
Of course it was. Not only is it genre-savvy, I think it's kind of daring considering how much it blows up the whole concept of ero games and where all these works come from.

Still a bit stunned with this ep. I don't think any show ever has elicited my sympathy for someone doing something as wrong as what Kariya did while they were actually doing it. Normally the "insanity" in such moments seems like a flimsy cover for straight-up moral failing, but this ep... wow. Direction, writing, and voice-acting all 10/10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post

And honestly, I can hardly blame Kariya for it. He's lived in hellish pain for the past year and has thrown away his own life for her sake and that of her children. The thought of seeing them happy was the only thing that kept him going and made him capable of enduring his unrelenting and agonizing torment. Yet, of all things, she accused him of being selfish and incapable of loving anyone, denying everything he'd gone through for her sake. For Kariya, that was the ultimate insult and rejection. His miserable life up until then had been sustained by the thought of the light at the end of the tunnel, which he hoped would be the smile and appreciation of Aoi, but instead he was met with the utmost scorn. His reaction was most natural for a human being, no matter how unsettling the result might have been.

That after sort of guilt tripping him into the whole ordeal by saying he should know better than anyone why Sakura had been taken from her. She basically passive-aggressively forced him into this predicament, even if unbeknownst to her.

Now I'm not saying she deserved the fate she received here, since she was still a victim of Kirei's simple but effective scheme as well, but she's hardly a saint just because she was on the receiving end of the physical assault there, seeing as the psychological wounds she inflicted on Kariya were also extremely harmful.
My thoughts exactly. They made the slide into insanity very believable and 'justified' if that's possible.

Last edited by ChainLegacy; 2012-05-27 at 16:40.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote