View Single Post
Old 2013-01-26, 16:25   Link #11844
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
A shallow analysis. When Zenkichi told her that, they were basically strangers. Why do you think she took the words of a stranger to heart so easily? Why do you think an existence as far removed from normal people as Medaka was, accepted a world view that connected her to the people that shunned her so easily? Because she loves people, that's why. Hence, connected.
You seem to be overanalyzing. We as fans can sometimes conject things that are not actually in the story with our speculation.

For instance, you're assuming that she completely loved humanity when she was a child without a purpose, and because of that fact, she'd have taken a liking to Zenkichi's suggestion.
When in reality, that's not really in the manga. And she only adopted Zenkichi's suggestion because he was the first person to actually offer a goal in life.
In turn, Kumagawa gave her his thoughts on the matter, but she found his opinion unsatisfactory because his was a position of negative-affirmation(we have no purpose/goal in life).

Basically, her uncompromising love for humanity was born out of her interaction with people, after helping them via Zenkichi's suggestion of a goal. I personally think it's silly to say Medaka at that age already had a uncompromising love of humans, and not supported in the story.

That's the manga's stated reason for her ideology, so I'm sticking to it. Sure it's just one interpretation, but I think it's by far the best one.

Quote:
If you say so.
Quite so.

Quote:
Yes, the result is the same, but the motivation is different. It's still character development, though of a subtler kind than you may be used to.
You could say that.

Though, I'm sure certain people would just call it weak or effortless or just a way for Nishio to shoehorn in development without actually changing the way he writes the charcter.

Which makes it hard for people to feel the development.

Quote:
Even that would be OK, if you didn't insinuate that your position ix objective truth.
Are you serious?

Do you think I'm some evil mastermind trying to trick you into believing in my opinion or trying to make your's look bad or something?

Here, if it helps any:

Any opinion mentioned thus forth is my complete and abject subjective, personal view, and I'm in no way shape or form trying to supress or discredit the opinions and thoughts of others.

There. I trust you won't be confused now?

Quote:
I'm perfectly calm. I do find it amusing how you're insinuating that I'm being overly emotional and irrational in order to discredit what I'm saying.
Well, aren't you?

Here you are, actually stating that I'm trying to objectively prove the truth of my opinion and disprove your's.

Quote:
I'm perfectly aware that some people don't like Medaka. My problem is the way you use words like 'many' to insinuate that you're in the majority to justify your opinion.
I'm not saying that to justify an opinion.

I'm saying that because of the number I have observed for both sides.

"Many" is not an affirmation of objective truth. Did you not see me using many for both the people who like Medaka and the people who dislike her?

It's just an affirmation of a bi-polar opinion overall. For example, Kumagawa is universally loved, because so little people dislike him.

Quote:
I never disagreed that Torai could be considered superfluous. My problem is that you assigning unnecessary values to that.
Sure.

I, personally, hate when an author does that to a character.

Quote:
I would believe that if you weren't doing that exact same thing.
I'm just questioning why you think I'm saying something objectively. It leads me to believe you're insecure of your opinion or something.