View Single Post
Old 2011-12-24, 08:03   Link #3189
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Hey... SOCCER people....

From the American point of view -- that red card was total BS. And it was smart of the manager to just outright order the team to walk off the field -- and call it the end of the game.

That kind of situation was dangerous. Any random person running up the field like that towards an athlete... all sorts of crap could happen. If you want a reference, refer to the Monica Seles stabbing. With that in mind, the goalie had every right to defend himself. And keeping the bastard down like that until help arrives... that was the right thing to do.

So, to give him a red card for it - that was... ludicrous. It was security's fault for allowing anything like this to even happen.
  • Having said that -- what has been the talk about this incident days after?
  • Does the referee get reprimanded for making such an ill decision? (Which I doubt)
  • Will the game be replayed?
  • Overall, where's the justice?!
I find this extremely unfair for the goalie also (as one mentioned, who know what is that fan is carrying, stunning gun,knife, bomb....), but it seems this decision was not a mistake, and was written somewhere in their little rule book.

I remember that a similar incident was happened in a smaller league. The player jumps up to tackle the troubling fan. He got the red card. The opposing club found the decision so unjustified that they decided to take of a player too. That's fairplay

Kinda envy the more open mind in US-dominant sports. International football with FIFA is extremely narrowly mind on technologies, hence all important decisions were decided by ref running on the pitch. And trust me they literally can change the outcome of the match if they want to (or their decision can be affected by players' reaction or the crowds). With all of the cameras in high profiles games that can capture all of the angles and replay them within less than a second, there should be only 2 refs. A guy (or two)monitoring from above with all of the camera angles, and one guy running down on ground to solve the dispute and pass the message. Pulling shirt and clear diving should face penalty after the match (financial or a match ban if serious)
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote