Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2006-11-05, 13:27   Link #2282
Conri

Random comments...

I was never disappointed with the ending of Simoun, therefore I did not have to do any rationalization. The more important climax to me occured in episode 25. I wouldn't have minded a few more explanations, but it didn't hinder my enjoyment, and in some cases, it was much better that way.

RE: FatPianoBoy
"Gao" beats "Uguu" any day of the week.

RE: Kanon
A lot of my enjoyment from Kanon comes from having made it through the first series. I remember just enough to notice most of the foreshadowing, and I've forgotten just enough for it to be almost like watching the stories for the first time. I'm not sure how I'd react if this was my first Kanon experience... I hope I would stick to it, like I stuck to Simoun despite the slow start and the initially 'scary' doll-like eyes. I have to admit, the KyoAni Kanon designs are frightening at times (due to their large eyes, look how close their facial features are!). Even realism is a subjective topic, but I enjoy Kanon for the dream-like feeling, the winter setting, the interweaving stories and mysteries.

RE: warainagara
I see "High level culture" as a bit of a sham to fool others or ourselves. The meaning one person gets from War and Peace another person might get from the Bible, Calvin and Hobbes, or Pokémon. It is not my place (and in fact, quite impossible) to judge people's minds, ages, experiences, or anything else based on what they like or don't like, what they see or don't see. After all, we live in a cool world, where a plastic ring can be worth more than a $10,000 jewelry collector's dream.

I don't care if other people think Simoun or One Piece or ARIA is or isn't "high culture." If they give me inspiration or enjoyment or thought provocation, that's good enough for me. All three of these titles have given me all three reactions. Call me childish all you want. You'd be right. And I hope you're still right when I'm 50 or 60...otherwise, I'll have let the world wash something important out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy
Yeah... I think this is all my fault
Nah..."messes" on forums take multiple people. For instance, 'trolls' only really become a problem when the bashing starts getting thrown around. This is nothing...quite tame.

EDIT:
Spoiler for more messy, rough fanart:

Last edited by Conri; 2006-11-05 at 13:57.
Conri is offline   Reply With Quote