View Single Post
Old 2013-02-09, 01:44   Link #126
U. N. Owen
Realistic Idealist

Mahou Shoujo Akane Tsunemori

Ok, so I've been thinking... How was episode 16 a masterpiece (I'm assuming most of you are aware that Butch Gen called Episode 16 this)? In what way, exactly? And... I think I've got it.

It is a masterpiece... Of subversion. A magnificent troll! Possibly. I mean, everyone here is probably all on the same page, "obviously, the thing that wasn't showed on camera, Sibyl's core, is a network of criminally asymptomatic people". I mean, it's painfully obvious, what with all the dystopian Sci-Fi references, and the fact that this series draws a lot of inspiration from Blade Runner, GITS, and Minority Report. Right? What else could it be?

Hm...

How about something else entirely- something completely, 100% unique- never before seen in science fiction before, something that you would be able to look at and go "HOLY SHIT IT ALL MAKES SENSE".

That is how this could be a masterpiece- only, it won't be seen as one until the curtains are lifted.

Or, Butch Gen could have just taken many different science fiction concepts and formed an amalgamation of greatness from them, and his masterpiece is succeeding in making a series that truly starts in media res, then going back, and getting caught back up with a scene in perfect synchronicity that doesn't feel at all forced, unlike most every other one done like this that I've seen.

Oh well. Long as it's enjoyable to watch, I don't give a shit.

Speculah:
1.) Criminally Asymptotic people are androids/gynoids. It's interesting, Especially when you consider Kasei and Akane; if we go by Kasei's apparent age and Akane's actions as that of a "programmed gynoid", there's a possibility that Akane is intended to be the "replacement" for Kasei to continue the charade. I mean, Kasei can't exactly continue as the leader if she appears "old" but is still around, I don't believe.
2.) By the end of the series Akane and Shogo will end up as part of Sibyl's Core in an ending that is so depressing, it will just make you want to draw a hot bath and open up some veins.
3.) Something involving a Cosmic Horror Story. Because naming a cybernetic hunting dog Lovecraft just doesn't cut it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, to those complaining about how easily Maki owned Kou, keep in mind, the man went up against 3 other people before him, and by the time he confronted Maki, he was wounded, as opposed to Maki, who was in peak condition.

Well, I personally think that Maki would have owned Kou's ass regardless, but still, something to remember.

And talking about Maki loosing some character depth by taking pleasure in dominating in a physical confrontation? Don't all people delight in that? Granted, going giddy at the thought of carving the defeated up is a bit less common.