View Single Post
Old 2018-06-14, 01:43   Link #15
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

A couple criticisms and concerns I have:

- Given the short amount of time spent for development between Origins and Odyssey, I'm afraid that Odyssey will be little more than Origins 1.1, with only a few innovations (like that teleporting strike) in between...and a different vista.

- I'm not fully sold on the RPG dialogue, it sounds more like a
  • Let's go do it now.
  • Let's do it later, I wanna do something else now.
  • Gimme information now so that I can choose 1° or 2°.
menu. They say it'll have some impact on the story, but I'm not 100% sold on that (at least the choice impact won't have the scale of Dying Light 2).

- Ubisoft claims it'll be the largest map ever, larger than even Egypt. I however believe we'll have another Black Flag-type cop-out as most of the map will be water (to add insult to injury in BF, very little of the islands could be traversed; they simply had "tunnels through the jungle" built in that led the player to the objective). Sure, there'll be wrecks to explore and ships to attack, but I hope it won't be that bad (the rest of Greece is highly mountainous, so there won't be much to explore there). Granted, Egypt also had a large amount of desert and uninhabited areas between points of interest, but at least it felt well-furnished.

EDIT:

- Someone on Reddit managed to piece together what appears to be the complete map: https://i.imgur.com/mg08UQM.jpg
As I thought, there's a lot of water there, although there's also enough islands to keep you busy (I would consider myself placated if the map was actually denser in terms of content, compared to Origins, rather than more expansive). I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't include a piece of Asia Minor, it'd have been fun to have a small Troy mission (maybe in a DLC? hopefully?)...not to mention than Ionia (West coast of Turkey) was involved in the Pelopponesian War.
- Mentions of underwater ruins easily call to mind Atlantis, even though the latter is nothing more than a failed and stillborn attempt by Plato (Socrates' student, which we might also meet in the game) to illustrate a perfect Greek society (one that eventually fell to corruption) and prop up his arguments on good governance to current Greek states (most specifically, Athens).
- The Minotaur's presence means we'll have a mission or chapter in Crete.
- There is an active volcanic area (probably not Thera, since that devastating eruption took place a 1,000y or so prior - though there might be underwater ruins to explore in the Thera area).

Last edited by Renegade334; 2018-06-14 at 13:28.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote