View Single Post
Old 2011-04-07, 15:05   Link #1821
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
The point of asking you to prove the point of the first above paragraph to say, that 'extending the life of the universe' by fulfilling his race's own energy needs is exactly what Kyuubey is doing.
Because it's a non-starter of an argument. Stars are going to radiate their energy regardless if someone is there to collect it or not. And when you understand exactly how much energy a single star puts out, you realize that it's stupid to go collecting energy when you have something readily available and already generating energy. Why go through a whole complex scheme for energy, when you already have a power plant humming away?

If we cover a small fraction of the Sahara desert in solar panels, then the energy collected during the day would be enough to power our entire civilization. Think about that; an incredibly small fraction of the light energy radiated by our sun, can power all our electrical requirements.

Now think what you can do if you could harness half of the sun's output. Or even all of it. Now considering you have that energy, which is going to go to waste either way... why come up with this scheme?

If you still think this is a good idea, then give me your car. I'll trade it for this other car I've developed that only works 30% of the time.

Quote:
It doesn't matter if every star is going to burn away eventually. So long as Kyuubey's race is able to find up with some method to create new stars, then the universe still exists and life can survive in it.
Oh, it's very possible to create new stars. There has been theoretical talk around about how you'd need to gather enough mass together to convert planets into stars. But all this is doing, what our sun is doing, is burning fuel. Once that fuel is gone, the star goes dark. So even if we start running out of stars in a few trillion years, we should be technologically advanced enough to gather materials from across space together to ignite new stars. That should give us a few more billion years.

Quote:
This is still a very optimistic and hypothetical expectation. No matter how quick the progress of technological innovation, there is nothing to say, even in 7 billion years time, that any civilization could learn to warp the fundamental laws of reality.
This is true. But given the historical progress of man... well, some people said we'd never make flying objects heavier than air. Or walk on the moon. It's been my opinion, that whenever someone says we never will do something, that they are most likely wrong. We already change reality around us with scientific knowledge. I see no reason to doubt we will stop being able to do so in the future. With more time, comes more scientific understanding of how everything works.

And worst case scenario: After several trillion years, we die out with the rest of the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
But you avoided answering my question. If only one tiny part of the universe continues to burn with light, can the universe "as a whole" still be said to continue to exist?
I'd say so. Given that only a small fraction of the universe burns with light currently. =)

Quote:
And what's the worldwide death rate for under-18 girls?
Every magical girl that avoids death will eventually become a witch. It doesn't matter if it takes one, ten or even a hundred years. Do you think he cares either way?
Oh, I believe he feels like he knows what he's saying. I'm just calling his plan bad. And there seems to be confusion about my 30% figure, so allow me to clarify that.

Loop 1: 2 magical girls die
Loop 2: 1 MG dies, 1 becomes a witch
Loop 3: 3 MGs die, 1 becomes a witch
Loop 4: 1 MG becomes a witch
Loop 5 (current timeline): 2 MG's die, 1 becomes a witch

This is just the onscreen confirmations we have. In most loops, we don't know what happens to the other girls.

Out of a sample size of 12 girls, in various repeated experiments, 8 girls die, and 4 become witches. So more specifically, 33.333333% of magical girls become witches, while 66.666667% of girls end up dying before that point. It may be just my opinion, but those are fairly horrible odds to bet the future of the universe on. That was the whole reason for the Rayearth method to showcase why the current Kyube plan is stupid on the face of it. With a little thinking, one can greatly increase the percentage of girls that survive to witch-hood.

This is why I compare Kyube to a weather forecaster. He makes a statement he believes, but can still end up being wrong. A weather forecaster may say that it will rain this week, and out of 7 days, it only rains for a bit on Friday. Technically, he's right. But he's right in a way that ultimately makes his statement meaningless.

That's why Gen doesn't quite understand what he's done, at least at this point in time. Kyube's race is one of the dumbest advanced races I've ever seen. Then again, maybe they have Republicans in their government, too, with private contractors getting kickbacks and subsidies for promoting an incredibly stupid energy generation plan.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote