View Single Post
Old 2007-08-14, 06:48   Link #28
Julius Firefocht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I have to preface this by saying I'm new to the material - nothing before the four eps I've watched so far. But I saw someone refer to this anime as a trainwreck, but one you couldn't look away from. I can definitely see that - though it contrasts with the bright palette and breezy music and settings, there's something very sick about the whole thing. But here's what I don't get.

I can see not liking Itou much - he's not exactly sharp as a tack. But all the hate is odd - honestly, he seems like the most normal one of the bunch to me. What's his biggest sin - that he's horny pretty much all the time? Hello - 16 year-old guy! Seems to me like he's less in control of his situation than anyone else here. Both girls know he's pretty much clueless generally (about girls specifically) and slave to his hormones - yet Kotonoha acts surprised when he so much as kisses her. Is she so caught up in her romantic fantasies that she's ignorant to the effect she's having on Itou?

As for Sekai, well - she's the sickest of the bunch. WTF - why does she take such a perverted interest in Itou's romance with another girl when it's obvious she's hot for him herself? She's the one driving this sick train - the way she tortures Itou is as far from innocent as can be. She's manipulating the others for her own enjoyment, even if she won't admit it to herself. Meanwhile, Kotonoha is wrecking her life by trying to live a fantasy and Itou pretty much has no chance whatsoever, what with all the stimulation he's getting. Again - I'm not saying he's admirable by any means, but he's hardly the villain in this piece either, is he? Well - I know there's a lot more story to go, so I shouldn't jump to any conclusions, but cripes - what has he done that any other horny kid in his situation wouldn't?

I guess I'm just looking for someone to root for, here. It's a fascinating psychological debacle to watch, but finding someone to actually like would definitely bring up the enjoyment level a notch, for me.
Perhaps I can refer you to the Makot character discussion thread. We have pretty convincing analyses on him.
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/