View Single Post
Old 2008-09-11, 06:33   Link #40
magnuskn

As a counter-point, Alto has been shown several times in the past to be an exceptional pilot. Sure, he is getting out-piloted by Brera, but as the latter has CYBORG HAX, I couldnīt care less. He is at the same level as Ozma, who after all is a veteran fighter pilot with more than a decade of experience under his belt.

He doesnīt have the most outgoing personality, nor is he as assertive as Sheryl or Michael, but as soon when he recognized that they were his real friends, it was easy to notice that he really cared for them. Michael had to tone down his teasing of him, Sheryl drop a bit of the tsun-tsun attitude and Ranka... well, she had to be saved a lot and save him that one time.

As for his womanly looks... I guess we have to go with how the inhabitants of Frontier see Alto, even if the animators canīt make it work completely.

Are there more interesting protagonists? Sure, there are guys like Gene Starwind, who are much more outgoing. But I can live with a more introspective main character, who has issues and doesnīt make friends as easily.

Squall from Final Fantasy VIII was exactly such a one, and I really liked the guy after a while, too. Such characters take getting used to, but in the end they are worth it, IMO.