View Single Post
Old 2009-03-17, 20:31   Link #400
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinak View Post
yes, the uniform can be taken on and off. but i am suggesting the origin of the haori comes from the soul itself. either by some kind of spell that "promotes" them to a captain thus producing the captain outfit.

I'd say the black hakama is the main indicator of shinigami powers. When Rukia gave her powers to Ichigo, her hakama disappeared and she was left wearing the white kimono underneath, which she also wore throughout the SS arc while she had no powers. Whether the captain haori is linked to the soul is questionable, the major obstacle with that theory is that Kenpachi wears the haori of the captain he killed to get the position (which is why it's frayed like Isshin's).

Outfit changes that are the result of bankai (like Renji and Ichigo's) definitely are linked to power. If the shinigami is near death, the outfit will revert to the normal uniform. For the other clothing, I'm starting to agree w/ Kafriel that Kubo switches back and forth on whether shinigami uniforms are just normal clothing, or linked with the soul based on convenience. Like sakuraame said, they're used mainly to show affiliation, characters that are supposed to be ambiguous don't wear uniforms at all despite having powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meisterdieb
Either Tite Kubo has placed some hints, then Isshin has to be something we know about (and we actually don't know zilch about royal guards or dimension except that they exists).
The royal guard is basically the shinigami equivalent of the vastrolorde mystery. We know that the VL exist, the question is whether some of the arrancar already introduced might actually be VL, or whether they will all be new characters. The difference is that there are many arrancar who could possibly VL. Isshin is the only shinigami we know of with the possibility of being a royal guard.

Last edited by Sabaku Kyu; 2009-03-17 at 20:41.