View Single Post
Old 2004-01-13, 17:41   Link #20
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

I think it's a very fine line for a Mod to walk, between "oppressing" the forum users and merely maintaining order.

All the forum users, not only the mods, have a responsibility to help make this an enjoyable place to hang out. Flaming is only as big a problem as we let it be, really. When someone flames, the best thing to do is just ignore the whole thread (or just the person flaming). If no one is willing to aknowledge the existence of the offending post(s), the flamer will hopefully have the presence of mind to realize he/she is wasting energy. Trying to cool things down might have worked if the habitual flamers were capable of rational thought, which they usually don't seem to be.

I'll admit that ignoring flamers is easier said than done. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've been tempted to tell moronic posters a thing or two. But as I'd only make things worse (see "lack of rational thought in flamers" above), it'd be a wasted effort, and a counter-productive one. Talking sense into habitual flamers isn't easy. The problem isn't what you are saying to them, the problem is that they aren't listening. They don't want to.

As the saying goes, action speaks louder than words.
AG3 is offline   Reply With Quote