View Single Post
Old 2013-08-17, 20:46   Link #622
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHejhogianMaestro View Post
Anime cliche I'm tired of?
The school girl. I mean seriously, I burned my school uniform when I finished school. (The messed up thing is I really did, no exaggerations).
Perhaps in the '70s the sight of a girl clad in a thigh-length sailor skirt school uniform was original and edgy... But it feels like most cheap anime had that one Japanese Schoolgirl who's only really there for the 12-16 year olds to fap off to.
It's not as prevalent as anime-detractors say it is, but when it's become the stereotypical face of your genre...
I cannot say that I am entirely guiltless of sharing that same fetish but I kind of wish that they stop using that trope.

Quote:

The whole bragging thing got old in and of itself. What's worse is that often you don't quite know how to respond to this: are they being serious or not? This harkens back to an earlier mentioned cliche featuring spontaneous power ups.
This is HORRIBLE in the Mons shounen genre. Since the characters aren't even the ones fighting, trying to guess how powerful their conjured beast/toy is based on their bragging is a hell in and of itself.

"Hey, shounen heroes/villains! While your opponent is wasting time telling you how this new awesome, oversized sword they pulled out of their arse will cut you into pieces, why don't you cut them into pieces? Take a page out of Berzerker?"

Realistically during a battle between someone who's trying to kill you, unless I'm following a gentlemen/samurai code, I'm going to strike at any and every opportunity I have. You're not looking my way? I'm not going to shout, "Hey! Over here!" first and then strike you; I'm just going to attack.
You decide to power up? I don't care about 'challenge.' I'm going to take you down any way I can.
I can understand the cheerleaders on the sidelines. That's actually a tad more realistic than one would think.
It is basically the bane of most shonen manga, you are basically your opponent the means to defeat you. It is kind of a justified trope as you may know what is going on in the manga and not many can figure what is going on in the fight. Ironically, Dragon Ball avert this trope even though it is common in manga nowadays.

Quote:
Someday, someone should deconstruct this. A character that sharp should be thoroughly examined. It would be interesting if they could tell you everything about yourself, but didn't know a thing about themselves.
Me Too. I hope it goes on to deconstruct this archetype or even show what kind of training/mindset you need in order have this skill.