Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
I have to apologize, this thread's existence is my fault. m( _ _")m
Or mine, for singling out that specific piece of your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I think part of the problem might be that Kirito and Asuna are true equals- which is quite refreshing since there are so precious few anime couples that are indeed true equals.

On the other hand, Haruyuki is clearly the sub-ordinate one in his relationship with KYH. And even in terms of personality, his maturity seems out of sync with KYH. So, one is left wondering what KYH sees in him, other than quick reflexes? Absolute Loyalty? Perhaps, bit still, that rankles people, especially in a decade with a horde of weak minded male protagonists that gave rise to the derisive moniker Generic Harem Protagonist.
Spoiler for Too... hintish:
Agreed--part of the reason I like SAO more than AW (having read both LNs) is that I like the romance between the protagonists in SAO more than that of the protagonists in AW. Much like you mentioned, Kirito and Asuna treat each other as equals, and this allows love to flourish between the two. As a romance buff, I thoroughly enjoyed the time Kirito and Asuna spent together in volume 1, and was quite devastated when later volumes contained much less romance On the other hand, because Haruyuki always sees himself as a subordinate to KYH, he tempers his feelings and thoughts and the relationship between Haruyuki and KYH just doesn't develop as much compared to Kirito and Asuna's relationship.

I think a good example is the first or second episode of the 2nd arc, when Haruyuki visits KYH in the hospital and she arranges her hair the way that Haruyuki said he liked the most. Haruyuki's lack of skill in talking to someone of the opposite gender certainly contributed to the misunderstanding and KYH's sour mood, it was because of his self-perceived subordinate role that he chose not to further disagree with KYH and clear up the misunderstanding by telling her what he actually thought. If Kirito and Asuna were put into the same situation, Kirito would've been more firm in his assertions--that he didn't only compliment her cause she got mad and that Asuna looks lovely and would look lovely in his eyes with any hairstyle.