View Single Post
Old 2013-10-22, 18:35   Link #2291
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think a pro sports analogy works pretty well here.

Let's say KyoAni is the New York Yankees. The New York Yankees General Manager is like whoever makes hiring decisions for KyoAni, and has some level of oversight over the company as a whole. The New York Yankees Manager (same as a Coach in most team sports) is like the Director for a KyoAni show.

Now, the Yankees get off to a horrible start, and most Yankees fans blame the Manager. Let's say the fans are right. Then yes, most of the fault lies with the Manager. He takes the lion's share of the blame. But if the Yankees General Manager doesn't replace the Manager in a reasonably timely fashion (at the very least, having a new Manager to start next season), then the Yankees General Manager is going to start taking some flak himself.

Unfortunately, we don't really know who makes hiring decisions for KyoAni (well, ultimatemegax might know, but most of us don't) so we can only talk about KyoAni as a full organization when it comes to their top-level decision-making because there's no other name to go to.

Now, KnK might bounce back. Or it might simply have slow and steady improvement that means it eventually becomes a really good show for a solid majority of viewers. I'm not ruling that out. If that happens, then Ishidate becomes vindicated, and most of this conversation becomes moot.

But, just for argument's sake, let's say that KnK becomes a disappointed and doesn't sell that well. Then at the very least I'd expect Ishidate to not be back for any KnK sequel, and I'd expect KyoAni to go to a different Director for their next couple of shows.

Do we all agree on that much, at least? That if KnK bombs, then "KyoAni" (whoever makes hiring/oversight decisions there) bears responsibility to take corrective measures for that.