View Single Post
Old 2006-03-01, 20:29   Link #54
eggplant
Eggplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
That's one handy post, eggplant. You mentioned about 5-year veteran male seiyuus earning a decent living doing erogames...run that by me again, is it significant? Considering that most seiyuus are female...

And, say, I have a 30-minute OVA which stars a female protagonist and I want Yui Horie to voice the lead role...it'll be interesting to know how much of the money I pay will actually go to her pocket versus her agency's....I'm guessing (based on my experience with outsourced talent in general) no more than 30%.
Erogames are not subject to the rank payment system of anime, although standard video games has its own rating system. A seiyuu can earn 3 or 4 more times as much as he/she can by doing erogames, even though the seiyuu will assume a pseudonym.

This is because erogames/ ero anime videos are a niche market, catered to a minority willing to dish out huge bucks (yen) for a product (especially women otaku who savor over yaoi vidoes), and the production company knows that they have stellar quality by hiring an anime seiyuu.

Male seiyuu are not hesitant about appearing in erogames, as their identity is concealed and they can reap in good money. However, many female seiyuu resist such paths, and in some cases, their agency refuses to have them work in such fields.

In any case, anime seiyuus have to compete against proprietary erogame/eroanime seiyuu for the role, wherein the former has better acting skills while the latter has a better connections within the market.

But, my example of male seiyuu living a good life comes from doing narration work for TV, radio, videos, etc., as payment is very generous. In fact, seiyuus that are homeowners and who drive around in flashy cars built their fortune by doing such work.

As for Horie Yui, unless one specifically designates her for a certain role, you would have to send a notice to her agency as well as others, indicating what kind of role is available for an audition, as that is the basis for anime casting. And agency commission is normally 20-30%, unless they provide a monthly stipend to the seiyuu, which is rare, so it is safe to say that she is guaranteed 60% of the fee, after tax deductions.

In a way, seiyuus are better off than idol singers, who usually have a fixed income the first few years no matter how much that person rakes in for the agency, however when that idol starts switches to a performance based contract, it is a totally different story, as even a Morning Musume member can earn 40 million yen a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
Do you agree that seiyuu are paid far below their value to the art?
Listen to the voice acting in Miyazaki Hayao movies. He uses top notch actors/actresses as he depises the industry and anime seiyuus in general, but what is the end result? Mediocre acting at best. This is an indication that top notch seiyuus are best at doing voice dubbing work, a talent taken for granted.

Of course seiyuu will never attain the celebrity status of a leading actor/actress, as anime in general is a niche market where the seiyuu's face and name are not recognizable to the public. And I reckon that actors/actresses in Japan earn most of their money by endorsing products in TV commercials.

However, there is definitely something warped with the industry where a seiyuu cannot make a decent living just by doing something he/she excels at.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote