View Single Post
Old 2004-01-31, 19:57   Link #14
Weissent
on and off member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
I thought Eva was rubbish. Ohhh, Christian symbolism, how deep and mysterious and intelligent!

Tsurumaki: There are a lot of giant robot shows in Japan, and we did want our story to have a religious theme to help distinguish us. Because Christianity is an uncommon religion in Japan we thought it would be mysterious. None of the staff who worked on Eva are Christians. There is no actual Christian meaning to the show, we just thought the visual symbols of Christianity look cool. If we had known the show would get distributed in the US and Europe we might have rethought that choice.

There we go, that's our hidden meaning for you. Episode 26 was pretty funny, though.
And though we all knew about those statements, and we all saw that smth went wrong during the last episodes, this anime somehow kept us thinking and kept us always trying to interpret the ongoing events...
I really don't know about you guys out there, but this is an extremely rare occurrence. Usually, like in 90% of all anime around, the story they try to tell ranges from weak to bollocks, or in other words: the story is not compelling enough to actually make me care about the characters.
Whereas NGE crosses the line from 'watching out of curiosity' to 'watching out of concern'. Is it only the influence of the congenial CharaDesign with an unusual story, or the overall sense of "What the heck, the symbolism seems to be well-known, but somehow it still differs ... why?" that hooked me up to Evangelion?

I really cannot give a decent analysis of Evangelion, it just touched (or rather hit) a nerve which kept me thinking about this series as one of the greatest out there ....

(btw. I really hate prepositions. Why? s.a.)

Last edited by Weissent; 2004-02-01 at 03:30.
Weissent is offline   Reply With Quote