View Single Post
Old 2011-03-14, 11:41   Link #380
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Hip-hop is more than just lyrics, it gets on my nerves when everyone uses conscious hip-hop as a one-stop bulletin for what makes 'real' hip-hop.

(This isn't in reply to all those Mos Def lovers out there, I like him too. Just a general comment.)Though most of my favorite rappers are 'underground', I don't consider myself a backpacker and there are plenty of current mainstream rappers I like. I'm not claiming them to be lyrical geniuses or anything like that, but I like them none-the-less. Like David Banner, Ludacris, T.I. (with his stupid ass) for examples. Hell, my only complaint of Banner's collab with 9th Wonder was that it was too damn short.

For the slobbering over Andre 3000, it was Big Boi that dropped one of the better albums of last year.
I agree with you on liking mainstream artists.

I feel a big reason quality lyricists are so highly regarded these days is because of how generic and simple the lyrics of many mainstream MCs have become.

It's much easier easier for the average fan to note the differences between rappers like Canibus and Fat Joe than it is to contrast producers like Khaled and Premo.

Speaking specifically about 3000 and Big Boi, I feel the latter doesn't get his due because he comes off like your average rapper but is much more complex and witty with his rhymes. 3000's random but impressive appearances going back to '07 are what has people excited to see what can do now.

I like to steer clear of the "real hip hop" talk because at the end of the day, it comes down to perception.