View Single Post
Old 2010-02-10, 19:13   Link #141
BashZeStampeedo

While that might still be part of the problem, it doesn't seem to be what's holding Horo back. It can't be lost on Horo that it's a selfish and defeatist attitude to avoid joy because you'll lose it one day. Even Lawrence reminded her that he'd be willing to let her go if he knew she would be happier without him. Clearly, that wasn't the case.

If I had to pin a real reason on it, I'd have to say that it's simply what Horo said earlier: she wants to prolong their relationship as much as possible for her sake. And Lawrence knows it, and he's been a really good sport. But Horo panicked because she figured out too late just how quickly things were moving. She didn't think she could slow things down, so she tried ending things artificially before things went too far.

But she was way too late, so we can look forward to more of Horo trying to extend things, and more of Lawrence wondering if he'll live to see them pass the next base. But I doubt that's the whole story, because if it was then Horo wouldn't be rushing Lawrence from dangerous situation to dangerous situation just for the sake of pride - he's not a god-wolf, and he's been accumulating a lot of damage since he met Horo. I can explain it as her being confused and running on instinct, but it doesn't feel quite right.