Thread: Licensed Karneval
View Single Post
Old 2013-07-04, 06:39   Link #216
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
Is shocked in finding out the sales of the vol.1 of the anime is approaching 9K.
I was under the impression that the fan girls is going to abandon this show so they can concentrate their investment on Utapuri. Just how wrong I was.....
The manga and from what I understood the drama CDs sold well.

I am kind of surprised too though since they put no budget into this and rushed through it. The only good thing was the cast.

edit: Finally finished the series. They actually ended exactly where I thought they should with Gareki realizing he wants to stay in Circus and leaving to train. Of course plot wise nothing is really accomplished at this point (except finding Karoku) but at least it feels like a good conclusion for a character arc.

I always say if there is a main character in Karneval it's Gareki, not Nai because Gareki is the "normal" one in the story sorrounded by the extraordinary.

Also early on it might seem that Gareki is the tough character that protects Nai but as the story goes on we see that Gareki actually needs to be protected just as much as Nai by the Circus characters.

I always felt there were way too many characters in Karneval but in general I like everyone with Yogi and Gareki probably being my favorite. I also like that the few female characters are allowed to be good friends with the guys and fight equally along side them (as of yet there is no romance in the story).

The anime of course rushed terribly through events and it hard to feel the same connection with the characters that you do in the manga. I think the characters and the friendships they formed were probably the thing I like most about the story.

However the plot I can't blame on the anime. It has some of the same weaknesses. The Varuga and Kafka are just not very compelling villains. Both Circus and Kafka's powers are not very well thought out either.

I read a bit further in the manga but I can't say my feelings for the series improve. Karneval is enjoyable enough but it never goes beyond a guilty pleasure.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2013-07-04 at 10:34.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote