Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2015-04-25, 15:10   Link #36377
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Let's not be disingenuous here. They weren't "marketing Black Widow's sex appeal". They were expressing casual contempt for the way she used it.

"Playboy" or "stud" have different connotations from "slut" or "whore". Don't pretend it isn't so.

Now, it's possible it isn't, in fact, sexist. Just dig up the interview where they called Iron Man a whore. Or James Bond - another spy who uses his charm to get what he wants.
Go back and read through the conversation again, that was a response to Solace's post, specifically this:

"She's marketed like a sexpot. It was so noticeable in the first movie's marketing that people spoke up about it, and created things like the Hawkeye Initiative." At least, that's the only thing I can think that he was referring to as his explanation.

To be fair, I'm just worn out on these kind of arguments. Seems like everyone these days are hypersensitive to be point of ridiculousness on everything. IMO the exaggerated "THIS OFFENDS ME!!!" mentality do more harm for the cause than good. Hell, there's just this thread on the FF14 forum where some people are losing their minds over some small variances for a couple armor sets between male/female versions, with lines like these thrown about:

"Why should what men, usually straight white cis men, want matter?"
"Once SE starts treating AFs literally exactly unisex, with no disparities between the genders other than perhaps females having a bit more form-fitting gear, then I'll stop being annoyed with them. Until then, I'm going to be annoyed by the sexist artistic choices for some of the AFs all I please."

all over nothing more than a simple exposed stomach on the female dragoon AF, nevermind the hilarious irony of "EQUALITY FOR EVERYONE, UNLESS YOU DISAGREE WITH WHAT I LIKE, IN WHICH CASE GO DIE IN A FIRE!!!" mentality on display here. It's pretty much this: http://i.imgur.com/JEWt2Q7.jpg.

Perspective is something that seems to have become a lost art. A small difference in a piece of armor makes the game sexist, a crude joke against a fictional female character is now misogyny (but somehow totally ok if it's directed at a man). I simply cannot imagine what goes on in the minds of people like that, I would be too busy being offended by everything to actually have a life.

Last edited by kyp275; 2015-04-25 at 15:38.