View Single Post
Old 2012-11-15, 18:41   Link #622
Rainrir
Tin Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Yep, and of course, I'm also quite partial to that thinking man's series known as Toriko, which in no way involves hulking dudes capable of destroying entire mountains with a single punch.
!!!! You like a manga by a guy that solicitated underage sex, therefore your opinions are instantly invalid QXQXQXQXQXQXQ.

But in seriousness, as I said...I am mostly talking about Naruto/Bleach as a "Shounen baseline", not as a real indicator of actual quality. Alots of shounen manga have the "punch and things resolve themselves" approach, with varying levels of quality. YuYu Hakusho was one, so was DBZ and HnK. There are many, which is why I refer to it as "shounen baseline".

Anyway, I think we are on the same page, just at the different ends of it. I think we can all agree that some complexity and realism helps the manga, though not too much such that it "bores" the reader. I also think that just because a story is fantastical (like Kassim transforming into a Black Djinn, or magic-like Alchemy in FMA) doesn't mean that it still can't reflect some level of realism or complexity (which was an old complaint used by people to NOT count Scifi as "REAL literature").

Kongol Bancho was pretty mindless, but it is ok entertainment. Too bad the author self destructed...right when it started gaining traction.

Last edited by Rainrir; 2012-11-15 at 18:59.
Rainrir is offline   Reply With Quote