View Single Post
Old 2018-07-20, 21:36   Link #9
amehmood16

Well, just as I had hoped the production rebounded for the better here. I was hoping after the disastrous episode 10 that they had saved their better staff for these last two episodes and I was mostly right. I think this 2-2.5 week break was probably Xebec's best utilized break time compared to the first and second recaps.

The direction improved and was mostly on point, the CG action was near flawless, Episode 11 in particular was so well done that I have rewatched the scene where Urzu team takes out the Codarls over and over again. Just so smooth and dynamic. The music direction was amazing. So many good utilization of old remixed tracks. I have a much better appreciation for COOL RUNNING, TUATHA DE DANAAN, and FIRE AT WILL after seeing them implemented in the respective anime scenes. I never really liked those tracks in from the past seasons. Lavaetein's debut was just as great as I had hoped. I absolutely love when he uses the Howlitzer Gun on the final Behemoth. I have also rewatched that scene multiple times. The voice acting was very good for these episodes and really brought out the characters emotions too. It's like the cast finally found their footing and got used to their voices. The final exchange was heartwarming and I cried after hearing Karenai Hana and Tomorrow. Xebec expertly used these two tracks not only to evoke nostalgia but to also highlight those two particular scenes narratively because the lyrics for the songs are a great fit. As expected the animation wasn't quite there but it's still a step up from episode 10, although not at the level of the COMO arc which had the best overall visual quality this season.

Well at the end all I can say is that a major disaster was averted following episode 10 and Xebec really stepped up to the plate. It wasn't perfect still but everything came together quite nicely and given all the problems I am very satisfied with this ending. It had its ups and downs but I can't say I didn't enjoy FMP IV.

Now to wait for the final season. Some people are wondering if it may not come but it definitely will. There's a stage event for FMP at the Fantasia Bunko fall festival. The same place where 3 years ago the fourth season was first announced. I'm sure we will get the latest info on the state of the FMP franchise and when the time is right the final season announcement. Now I will wait patiently for the blu ray to see any possible improvements/changes.