View Single Post
Old 2008-06-11, 23:17   Link #52
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
It's just plain cracked how the bugs became mainstay features in all future incarnations.
What do you mean? There isn't all that much improvisation or bugs in the later works.

Quote:
If I were Hikaru, I'd stay away from her in that case. I'd hate to have to constantly figure out if she means what she says or is merely "coping".
You're misreading Minmei: she's always earnest in what she says. Where she's weird is that she doesn't have a proper sense of proportion, and that's partially where she gets her strength from. I get the feeling that Hikaru finds both of these traits attractive in her.

Quote:
My point is he was in all likelihood just a childhood crush. It may have been devastating for her as a young teenage girl, but as a grown woman she should have gained some perspective on what he meant to her exactly. Certainly she should feel silly for getting all bent out of shape like she did.
Riber was Misa's only crush/boyfriend/lover, and she was still at least partially in love with him at the time SDF-1 received the Mars Base message. Heck, even after she knew he was dead, she still wasn't entirely over him. You can call it an irrational reaction, but it's not a silly one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner of Anime View Post
In that episode, she had just set the fusion reactor to the base to overload. Considering that she just happened to be stuck in her dead fiance room during a pitched battle, getting herself out probably wasn't possible.

Imminent death in her mind was likely in the next few minutes by nuclear detonation In that moment Misa had resigned herself to death, and would probably have been resistant to any sort of last minute reprieve.
When she set the timer, I get the impression that she fully intended to evacuate. It was only when she reached Riber's room that she decided to give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner of Anime View Post
Oddly enough, the Mars episode is one of my favourites because it allowed everyone to see a completely different side to one of the show's most driven and apparently stable characters. It's also the first time Hikaru had seen the one person he's had a difficult and antagonistic relationship with as a vulnerable human being. Before that Misa was all business, a machine tasked with ordering people to die.
There's a lot of things to like about that episode. On the one hand, we see the Zentradi set up a rather clever trap, we see more of Kamjin's recklessness, and the real hero of the day was actually Misa going into the base itself. And of course, this was one of the first episodes to transform Misa from being an archetype into a rounded character.